A friend, and a former coworker, did this where he works now when he
migrated systems.  (He did tell it that it was a different system.)

We've already figured out he is missing:
Reply list entries
System values

What else might he be missing?

I went to this menu.  Put my cursor on this line.  And pressed F1.  The
list of items didn't mention this.  Unless this all fits under "other than
the Operating System/400 (OS/400) licensed program".

(I did recommend the IPL from tape.)

Both are at V5R1.  The original machine was old enough that V5R2 was not
an option.

Backup and Recovery Manual says that if you use system media instead of
backup media you should check:
The following may need to be created or changed:
v Configuration lists
v Network attributes
v Edit descriptions
v Reply list entries
v IBM-supplied subsystem descriptions
a. For the configuration lists, do the following:
Use the Work With Configuration Lists (WRKCFGL CFGL(*ALL))
command to create the configuration lists to match the information in your
list.
b. For network attributes, do the following:
Use the Change Network Attributes (CHGNETA) command to change the
network attributes to match the information in your list.
c. For edit descriptions, do the following:
Use the Work with Edit Descriptions (WRKEDTD EDTD(*ALL)) command
to create edit descriptions to match the information in your list.
d. For reply list entries, do the following:
Use the Add Reply List Entry (ADDRPYLE) command to add reply list
entries to match the information in your list.
e. For IBM-supplied subsystem descriptions, do the following:
Use the Work with Subsystem Descriptions (WRKSBSD SBSD(*ALL))
command to change the IBM-supplied subsystem descriptions to match the
information in your list.

Another part of the manual mentions:
Access path recovery times1 EDTRCYAP
Configuration lists WRKCFGL
Edit descriptions WRKEDTD
IBM-supplied subsystem descriptions WRKSBSD
Network attributes CHGNETA
Reply list entries ADDRPYLE
Service attributes CHGSRVA
System values WRKSYSVAL
1 When you reset your access path recovery times, ensure that the ASP
configuration
matches the configuration at the time that you printed the recovery times.
If it does
not, make a note to reset your access path recovery times after recovering
your ASP
configuration.

Maybe WRKCNTINF also?

Benjamin Franklin