Now, I want to first state that I am not saying the as/400 is bad .. in fact
i have grown to liek the one I have experience with very much.

But again, a lot of the comparison is apples to oranges.

Yes, it is a testament to the OS.  But theoretically if IBM ported OS/400 to
"PC servers" would stuff magically nto work then?

If ti is the as/400 hardware that is magical, does that mean Linux is now
rock solid because it runs on it?

No to both of these questions.  It is a combination.  For an AS/400, you are
buying the package deal of the OS and the hardware.

Also, people are saying "what you are runniing on 4 servers we are running
on one AS/400".  Well, what was the cost of the 4 servers to the 1 AS/400?
If the 4 servers were $20K and the AS/400 you are using is $30K, well damn
you BETTER be runnign the equivalent load and then some.

Part of the problem in the Wintel world is that every 2 years, the spec of
the OS you are writing for changes.  MS backwards compatability is HORRIBLE.
And in between MS versions you have ADO changes and HAL changes and changes
to the filesystem and changes to the way users are handled etc etc etc.

Case in point.  I have a VB program I wrote that uses OLE DB to query the
AS/400, pull down the address of certain brokers, saves it to an Excel
spreadsheet suing Office Autromation then opens my label merge document and
merges and pritns the data, also via Office Automation.

It has worked for 2 years with no touching.

I got a new computer and upgraded from win98 office 2K to Win XP and office
XP and the program vomits because they changed how the merging with word and
the saving to excel via automation works.  The code runs, but it changes how
things are saved.  So now I have to read up on what i ahve tio change to my
automation calls.

Microsoft sucks donkey $^$%^