PC based servers are not hunks of junk.  It's application implementation and
the OS.

Ultimately people don't run separate applications on separate servers
because of load.  They do it because you don't trust "critical" windows
based applications to run with other things because you freak out about
conflicts and knowing that one application going semi haywire could trash
the performance of another application running on it.

It has nothing to do with GUI because any application developer knows that
what runs the backend needs no GUI.  GUI is for the client piece, not the
server end.

Actually, let me rephrase.  Any application vendor with a clue knows that.
We have a vendor that has an admin utility that HAS to run on the server.
WTF?  Like I want to go back in my server room to have to run a utility to
add a user to their program.  I don't want to EVER have to go into my server
room unless there is a problem.  I want to sit on my fat a$$ and do admin
work (even though I hate that in itself, which is another story) from my
office.  There is not an airconditioner that runs in the winter in my
office.  There is one in the server room. ;)

We run that application on an IBM xSeries.  Is that PC server junk? No.  I
love it.  Beautiful piece of hardware.  It is the application vendor that is
screwing things up.