Rob, to do what you want here, it's simple - RPG IV (also called ILE) is the same as regular RPG, except that the column layout of the source record is a little different (some fields a little longer). You can writea program that looks exactly like your old RPG one. In fact, as Booth suggested, write the old-style one, then run the CVTRPGSRC command over it.

Remember that the source file record length is 112, not 92, for RPGLE.

The other stuff in ILE is not needed yet for you. All that binding and *MODULE and *SRVPGM stuff is better suited to designing larger applications with lots of shared executable code. As you go, you might keep in mind the things that you do a lot - conversions, extension calculations, business rules, etc., that you could put into a *SRVPGM and attach to anything you write.

You can still put data definitions in the C-specs, but you will eventually want to put them in D-specs. CVTRPGSRC does not do this for you. Another product, from Linoma Software, once called CVTILERPG, does a more extensive job, including converting C-spec data definitions to D-specs, and converting MOVxx ops to EVALs.

As others have probably said, ILE is not the same as RPG IV - ILE is an umbrella that covers the way languages work together, how objects can be lined together from disparate origins, in order to create a larger whole. It just happens that RPG IV was the version of RPG that entered the ILE world.

You can get some performance gains using ILE, since what you used to do with CALLs to other distinct programs can now be bound, eliminating the need for the system to figure out the address of the called program every time.

Have you seen the book "ILE Application Example"? You can see it at <http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r1/ic2924/books/c4156020.pdf>. You've probably seen the "ILE Concepts" book <http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r1/ic2924/books/c4156065.pdf>.

Good luck

Vern