Nelson wrote:

I've been interested in the same thing for some time now, but every time the
subject comes up on the list here it just degrades into a holy war over
which is the better method, rather than any meaningful discussions on the
best tools, methods, practices, etc. to use to implement a DDL-based system.

Nelson,

I agree.  I was afraid of starting such a 'war' with the post but I know
there are many people out there more experienced than myself in this area
and I would like to learn from their experiences.

IBM was asked to evaluate the performance of our iSeries.  Particularly the
nightly batch processing.  To summarize, their recommendations pretty much
all pointed us to switching from DDS to SQL.  Our programming manager is
pretty sold on the idea and my initial experiments have been very
encouraging.  We've just scratched the surface though and haven't touched
the more difficult issues of actually converting existing physical and
logical files to SQL tables, views and indexes.  Because of the size and
possible impact of the task I would very much like to know if anyone has
done this before and what their experience was.  Also is anyone running
mission critical applications over SQL only databases.  If so, what are the
things that work well, and what doesn't?  How is it managed?  Etc.

We are very much in the investigative stages here.  Any information that
would help in the evaluation is greatly appreciated.

Rick