The answer is not a simple yes or no.

In the example I gave, the query is being run by a cold fusion server; so
SQL is by far the easiest way to access data stored in the database.

It is possible to create RPG stored procedures and call them from cold
fusion; however, unless there is a very good reason to do so (such as
abysmal performance or a complex query that is run from many places) it is
(IMO) more cost effective to use the feature set of cold fusion to deal with
queries directly.

Also, we employ a number of people who have experience with SQL on other
platforms. Most of these people work on our website (mostly cold fusion with
some net.data). Therefore, it makes far more sense to use SQL on the website
from a maintance perspective; since most of the website data is stored on MS
SQL Server where RPG is not an option, and most of the website development
team is familiar with SQL and not RPG.

Thirdly, RPG code; while it may have been faster to code in this particular
instance; in my experience it is not faster to code (at least in the cold
fusion or net.data arenas) for the vast majority of queries performed by the
web site.

I think that you must choose your tool for the job; one of the strengths of
the platform is that there are 2 excellent ways to access relational data
(RPG and SQL). I don't think there is a clear-cut winner for any particular
task. I find SQL easier to create (I have a PC background); but RPG can be
considerably faster in some circumstances; this is offset by the issue of
platform independence and the smaller number of employee who can use it (at
my place of employment). Also, SQL has some great tools (like Query Manager)
which make construction of 1 time use tools and simple reports extremely
easy.

In conclusion of this very long message (sorry) I would say that I use both
tools and IMO it is very short sighted to exclude either one from your tool
box.