From: jt <jt@ee.net>
> | Leif thinks - time to begin to open source OS/400...
> | Let's not put the alligators back in this swamp, huh ?
>
> Although I agree with Leif on this particular issue, I agree with your
> sentiment as well.
>
> I view opening the *security* code to be a lose-lose
> proposition.  But, looking at increasing mindshare more than anything, I
> don't know why IBM wouldn't want to release the rest of the source for
> CPF/OS/400 (or at least V4R5).

If a system's security would suffer by having the "security" code
being open, then the system is not secure to begin with (maybe
that is what you are implying). A system gets *more* secure by
having outsiders inspect it (and improve it - maybe indirectly by
forcing the vendor to do it). Security by obscurity is false
security. Now, how many times do I have to say this?