From: Mike.Barton@pinkroccade.co.uk
[mailto:Mike.Barton@pinkroccade.co.uk]
Sent: 12 December 2002 16:17
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: RE: Running batch jobs in Qinter

>Original reply:
>
>Try holding jobq QINTER
>
>This works for a while until they notice.
>
>Another option is to change the class .
>By using  a class with a much higher priority (numerically that is)
>- say 99 , any advantage is lost.
>
>HTH
>
>Jeff's reply:
>
>This is not strictly true.  Unless the system CPU is running at close to
>100%, a batch job is still going to get sufficient cpu cycles to cause
>damage performance - this is done by the batch job over-storing the memory
>pages of the interactive jobs.  The priority value of '99' is only relative
>to other jobs in the system, it is therefore likely that 51 (for example)
>would have the same effect.
>
>Running batch jobs in the same subsystem is not actually the problem, it is
>when they run in the same memory pool as interactive jobs that the problems
>can occur.  Since most commonly subsystems only have one pool defined ...
>
>IBM have always recommended, for as far as I can remember, NOT to mix job
>types in the same memory pool.
>
>Jeff bull

Jeff
agreed in that it depends what operating system level u r at.
The latest releases don't 'obey' the level any where near as much as
they used to.

Mike

Removing the QINTER jobq from QINTER subsystem  is a good idea
but as previously suggested, you apear to allow the users to do too much.

They would onl find another jobq to use instead - even QCTL !

This communication and the information it contains: - (a) Is intended for
the person(s) or organisation(s) named above and for no other person(s) or
organisation(s). Access to this mail by anyone else is unauthorised. (b) Is
confidential, and may be legally privileged or otherwise protected in law.
Unauthorised use, circulation, copying or disclosure of any part of this
communication may be unlawful. (c) May be susceptible to interference, and
should not be assumed that it has come in its original form and/or from the
stated sender or PinkRoccade UK accepts no responsibility for information,
errors or omissions in this e-mail or use or misuse thereof or any act done
or omitted to be done in connection with this communication. If you are not
the intended recipient, please inform postmaster@pinkroccade.co.uk
immediately and delete it and all copies from your system.

This e-mail has been scanned for all viruses by ITM. The
anti-virus service working around the clock, around the globe,
email marketing@itm-group.co.uk
ITM - Managing Communication and Information through technology

DISCLAIMER

Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the
individual and not necessarily the Company. This email
and any files transmitted with it, including replies and
forwarded copies (which may contain alterations)
subsequently transmitted from the Company, are
confidential and solely for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not
the intended recipient or the
person responsible for delivering to the intended recipient,
be advised that you have received this email in error and
 that any use is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this email in error please notify the IT
manager by telephone on +44 (0)870 871 2233 or via
email to Administrator@itm-group.co.uk, including a copy
of this message. Please then delete this email and
destroy any copies of it.