Andy:

I was aware of those but they didn't seem appropriate. The introductory topic
1.3.6 describes the PTFs on that CD as not needed for a V4R2 to V4R3 upgrade. I
was hoping someone remembered running into a similar problem that was fixed by
a "real" PTF. AFAIK the PTFs on that CD are already applied as part of V4R2
base code except possibly for those mentioned that add new function.

Thanks.

Tom Liotta

midrange-l-request@midrange.com wrote:

>   4. RE: V4R2 upgrade PTFs? (Andy Nolen-Parkhouse)
>

>The V4R3 software installation manual is available here:
>
>http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/pubs/html/as400/online/v4r3eng.htm
>
>The following paragraph from that manual seems relevant:
>
><quote>
>Locate the CD-ROM labeled Installation Preparation PTF's for V4R3M0
>Software. This CD-ROM was shipped with your V4R3M0 distribution media.
>Load the CD-ROM in the optical device.
></quote>
>
>Unfortunately, the manual is not specific about the PTF's to be applied,
>it just states - "The system applies the appropriate PTF's for your
>current release."
>
>If you don't have the CD, hopefully there's a packrat on the list
>somewhere who does.
>
>Regards,
>Andy Nolen-Parkhouse
>
>> admin@midrange.com] On Behalf Of Tom Liotta
>> Subject: V4R2 upgrade PTFs?
>>
>> I have a V4R2 system that I want to upgrade to V4R3, then V4R4, and
>> finally jump to V5R1. V5R2 will come a little later. I run V4R3 CDs
>> through the 'Prepare for install' option off the LICPGM menu and end up
>> with CPF3DC6 -- "Upgrade from release V4R2M0 to release V4R3M0 is not
>> valid."
>>
>> My first guess is that my V4R2 system needs a preparatory PTF or other
>> PTF that fixes the V4R2 upgrade/install process, but I don't have any
>> useful documentation. And going through V4R2 PTFs one by one, since
>> they don't seem to be indexed, wasn't pleasant.
>>
>> I can do a scratch install of V5R1 or V5R2, but I want to do a few
>> intermediate tests. Of course, getting useful info from IBM about V4R2
>> to V4R3 isn't easy nowadays.
>>
>> So, does anybody have any old V4R2 upgrade instructions or relevant PTF
>> documentation that might outline requirements?
>>
>> IBM should donate old info to hobbyist or developer sites, at least
>> approve the archival storage of otherwise obsolete documentation or
>> make links reasonably easy to find. Until then, lists are the best
>> hope.

Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.
19426 68th Avenue South