SUBSTR creates a work field.... it's not a pointer into a data record and
therefore not the kind of thing that you can actually update with the SET
statement.

What you should be able to do though, is something like this:

UPDATE LIBRARY.FILE
SET FIELD = SUBSTR(DIGITS(FIELD,1,3)||'3'||SUBSTR(DIGITS(FIELD),5,2)
WHERE SUBSTR(DIGITS(FIELD),4,1) = '2';

Forgive if my concatenation syntax is incorrect.

HTH
Dennis

"Karl Keller" <kkeller@girling.com>@midrange.com on 12/11/2002 12:20:09 PM

Please respond to midrange-l@midrange.com