Alexei is right, IPL or RCLSPLSTG only gets rid of spool file space that has
already been freed up by deleting spool files, and it only does it based on
the QRCLSPLSTG number of days you set in the system value. (It used to only
do this at IPL after 7 IPLs.... that's probably what your manager is
thinking of.)

The Go Assist Cleanup does NOT clear out or delete any spool files apart
from system ones (joblogs etc).

What you need is TAATOOL command DLTOLDSPLF which you can run in your
overnight procedure, it allows you to specify an age beyond which spool
files will be deleted (3 days is a good one). You can also specify an outq
not to be cleared, and put all the things the users want to keep on this one
(Month end reports etc for the auditors)  Taatool also has commands for
converting a spool file to a data file for storage, and back again for
printing. This reduces overhead on the system.

You need to notify all users that any spool file not printed,  or moved to
the Hold outq WILL be deleted.
Otherwise inertia takes over, and they do nothing (sometimes not even
knowing that their jobs have produced output), then the system may slow down
too, especially if you have not set the QTOTJOB value and increment high
enough. (although I heard somewhere that in later versions of OS/400 it
ignores your value anyway and takes a more realistic one.)

You can buy the TAATOOL tools via the web - just search for Taatool on
Google...

Another way to do this is to buy ROBOT, but that is more expensive!

Hope this helps,

Clare

Clare Holtham
Director, Small Blue Ltd - Archiving for BPCS
web: www.smallblue.co.uk
IBM Certified AS/400 Systems Professional
E-Mail: Clare.Holtham@btinternet.com
Mobile: +44 (0)7960 665958