Thanks Philipp,

The hardware config is really odd, here is the controller breakdown

DC01             2741-001   Operational           Storage Controller
  DD009          6607-070   Operational           Disk Unit
  DD004          6607-072   Operational           Disk Unit
  DD003          6607-072   Operational           Disk Unit
  DD002          6607-072   Operational           Disk Unit
  DD001          6607-072   Operational           Disk Unit
  OPT01          6321-002   Operational           Optical Storage Unit
  TAP03          6390-001   Operational           Tape Unit
  DD008          6607-072   Operational           Disk Unit
  DD007          6607-072   Operational           Disk Unit
  DD006          6607-072   Operational           Disk Unit
  DD005          6607-072   Operational           Disk Unit
  DD015          6607-070   Operational           Disk Unit

DC03             2748-001   Operational           Storage Controller
  DD024          6717-074   Operational           Disk Unit
  DD023          6717-074   Operational           Disk Unit
  DD022          6717-074   Operational           Disk Unit
  DD021          6717-074   Operational           Disk Unit
  OPT03          6321-002   Operational           Optical Storage Unit
  D01            283F-001   Operational           Device Services

DC02             2741-001   Operational           Storage Controller
  DD014          6607-070   Operational           Disk Unit
  DD013          6607-074   Operational           Disk Unit
  DD012          6607-074   Operational           Disk Unit
  DD011          6607-074   Operational           Disk Unit
  DD010          6607-074   Operational           Disk Unit
  DD020          6713-070   Operational           Disk Unit
  DD019          6713-074   Operational           Disk Unit
  DD018          6713-074   Operational           Disk Unit
  DD017          6713-074   Operational           Disk Unit
  DD016          6713-074   Operational           Disk Unit

And yes we are raid protected ;
Sadly - this is beyond my understanding of which units are "used"
and which are the raid packs - there are 2 other controllers, but
they are for tape units.

This is a "converted" 620 to a 820, so we still have a rack of the
620 left here for some disk units, and some disk units are in the
new 820 rack, plus the 620 had a "side-cart" with disk packs too -
This has been the "cost-conscious" way to upgrade - and it will not
be changing anytime soon as long as the powers to be do not just
hand over blank checks to us.

Disk units getting hit heavy normally are 5, 6, 16, 18, 23, and 24
sometimes at 40-75% while the rest are at 2-5%.

The idea/gulp/thought of backing off data, deleting, balancing, and
restoring is scary; I don't know if I could get that much dedicated
time for the next two months... Sadly too, due to too many canned
packages, and too many years of too many cooks in the kitchen, the
data files are spread in 18 different libraries; getting better, but
so much clean up with no "visible" ROI keeps the "mess" in place.

It is something I could look at when time is more available closer to
February.

Sorry for such a big post - and thank you for any other insights, or
suggestions
that do not involve hardware upgrades.

-Mark