On Tuesday 03 December 2002 8:20 pm, Vern Hamberg wrote:
> Troy
>
> I don't mean to be too subversive, but you can have full SQL capability
> with QM queries. There's a whole set of commands, CRTQMQRY, DLTQMQRY,
> WRKQMQRY, STRQMQRY. You put an SQL statement into a source member (no
> semi-colon after the statement), then execute the CRTQMQRY command over
> that member. Then use STRQMQRY to run it. You can even put in
> substitution variables.
>
> One QMQRY you could write would have all substitution variables, then
> you put your statement into the SETVAR parameter of STRQMQRY (55
> characters each variable).
>
> Another handy one would have a statement like
>
>    select * from &LIB/&FILE
>
> in a member called DSPANYFIL
>
> Then you'd run
>
>     strqmqry somelib/dspanyfil setvar((lib 'yourlib') (file
> 'yourfile'))
>
> This'd display the first member in a nice SQL layout, and would work on
> logical files, too.
>
> There are caveats even with this simple example, but it's a start.
>
> This is a part of every 400 - part of the O/S, so you can't uninstall
> it.
>
> :-)
>
> Vern

Troy

And if you want a head start, have a look at http://dbg400.net/excsql.html
for a way to use QMQRYs to give you an ad-hoc SQL tool. I don't know if
an open source app would be any better from your company's perspective,
where they can at least see what goes on behind the scenes, but there's
not much code in it, so implementing your own 'version' would be easy
enough ;)

Regards, Martin

--
martin@dbg400.net (plain text emails only) http://www.dbg400.net   /"\
DBG/400 - DataBase Generation utilities - AS/400 / iSeries Open    \ /