Yes, but you still can end up with additional unnecessary disk accesses
when that happens.

To clarify my point, I actually did see a new programmer create a file
with a record length of 260 once - but the real killer was they had added
a 10 byte "filler" field to the end of what was actually only 250 bytes of
data.  ;-)

...Neil

PaulMmn <PaulMmn@ix.netcom.com>