Brad:

This is a real shot in the dark; it just clicks with 'SMTP' and 'works for
months then fails until IPL'. Is there any chance that the profile swap APIs
might be invoked differently depending on upper-/lower-case? Perhaps a program
gets called in one circumstance that doesn't get called in the other?

I ran across a situation where high-volumes of calls to those APIs would
eventually simply stop generating new profile handles and not produce any
errors. It just so happened that this was in a procedure that would generate an
SMTP e-mail and the result was loss of the out-going item. An IPL seemed to
correct it. Ending/restarting the jobs had no effect, so it didn't seem related
to reaching the limit of generated handles for a job.

Recreating the condition was not trivial due to the months it'd take, so I
don't know if the site ever worked it out with IBM. I'd sure be interested if
those APIs seemed involved in your case. Maybe within SMTP itself?

Ya' never know...

Tom Liotta

midrange-l-request@midrange.com wrote:

>   5. Here's an odd one (SMTP related) (Brad Stone)
>
>Maybe this will ring some bells with someone here, or maybe
>it will leave you as stumped as me.
>
>I had  customer using SPL2EMAIL.  He said it worked great
>for months, then all of a sudden it would stop.  After an
>IPL, things would work again.
>
>So, I called him today and we were able to duplicate the
>problem using SNDDST.  What we were able to consistantly
>find is that if the email address used for the TO: address
>was ALL UPPERCASE, it would not work (no email sent,
>althought the command completed normally).  If it was
>lowercase, it would work.

Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.
19426 68th Avenue South