From: Chuck Lewis [mailto:clewis@iquest.net]
Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 2:18 PM
To: Midrange-L
Subject: OT - One for the (DUH) List...

Wow,

I'm in the Computer Room and a user that attaches via TCP/IP comes in and
says "What's wrong ?" and I said "What do you mean" and checked a terminal
that was fine and the panel on the AS/400 which was fine...

The phones start ringing off the hook.

I sign on and see:

Line ETHERNET01 failed. Automatic recovery started.

and

* Ethernet line ETHERNET01 failed on resource LIN09

and I thinking WHAT the heck happened.

And ALL 9 remote sites and every non-terminal user in this building have
failed...

I go over to the equipment rack and see that the TSU/DSU/CSU and routers
have no power !

I start looking around (and I inherited this mess mind you) and an AC
Adapter "brick" had fallen off of the rack and landed on a power strip, down
on the floor and hit its' off button !

Turned the power strip back on. Ending TCP and restarting it got everyone
rolling again.

What fun - not.

And of course I have had a "personal project" for over 3 months to get rack
mounted power units to REPLACE these stinking power strips that my
predecessor was so fond of (there are about 5 of them all attached to one of
2 UPS's). And of course everything else kept getting in the way.

Well guess what I am ordering NOW ? !

Everyone (that celebrates it) have a Happy Thanksgiving !

Chuck