Hi Jim

I usually follow a somewhat similar path to Rob and the purpose of the save
before the PTF apply - at least in my case - is to have a way back in case
there is a problem with the PTF apply process. Doing the save after means
I'm toast if there is any kind of problem.

If I do the save beforehand then SWA provides a somewhat limited advantage:
I have to shut the system down for my SAVSYS and I also (probably) need to
shut down the system for a time sufficient to get the SWA checkpointed.
Bringing the system backup while the save  completes and then taking it
down to actually apply the PTF's seems to be of limited benefit.

On a thin partition I figure there is little advantage in tweaking the save
as in theory at least I am going to have system and configuration stuff
only and probably want to save it all before I apply my PTF's. Data
considerations would be non-existent but all my other partitions are down.
For this partition I might consider a quarterly or six monthly or even
longer cycle as PTF's are of a more limited benefit anyway. It might even
be reasonable to limit the PTF's on this partition to hardware and Hipers
that apply to my configuration only and not religiously put on cumes as
they appear. The other partitions can then be managed as business needs
dictate.

Ideally when the PTF process is complete I do another save (for the
recovery reasons you mention) but this is dependent on the window(s)
available to me. If I do not have enough time I keep the save before the
PTF's and the PTF stuff with it until the next system save in my normal
cycle occurs.

Regards
Evan Harris

<snip>
were you talking about loading all cumes, and groups,
while the system was running; and later doing the PWRDWNSYS to actually
apply them?
</snip>

Yes.  In all reality if the package load is done correctly, your save prior
to the application of the PTFs would not change.

May I suggest that you reverse the order?  If you do the save right after
the PTF application, you now have the proper copy of the system to restore
from a complete recovery if needed.  With the order you currently use, if a
complete restore were needed, you would have to re-apply the PTFs (assuming
no other full save is done at another time)

If downtime is a strong concern, you may want to look at BRMS to help you
manage the saves and get them into a save while active mode for the user
data.  I have recovered systems using this software and it works very well.
Even the save while active is very good now even though it used to be
somewhat questionable.  You can do SWA without BRMS, it just makes it much
easier.

Also, presuming that you keep all four of your LPARs at the same PTF level,
with the same licensed program products,  you really only need to back up
one copy.  Get a security and configuration save for each LPAR and you are
good to go.

Remember to print out  the LPAR configuration since that was not saveable
at earlier OS versions.

Jim Oberholtzer