Hi David,

I was researching how to keep the separator page connected with the
following job a few months ago when trying to staple it with the spool file
it described by using an MFP. I received the following information about how
the separator page is created from IBM.

"The logic to determine whether a file separator page is to be created is
based upon the file separator attribute of the spooled file and the file
separator attribute of the writer.  There is also a job separator attribute
associated with the output queue started to the writer.  Any one of these
three attributes could cause one or more calls to the separator exit program
for a given spooled file.

The job separator would be produced if the OUTQ has a value 1-9 and the job
the spooled file is stored under is different than the last spooled file
printed.  The file separator would be produced if the file separator
parameter on the STRPRTWTR CL command was set to 1-9 or *FILE (and spooled
file attribute had 1-9 for file separator attribute).

When separators were introduced on AS/400, it was decided that the
formatting of the separator page would not be taken from the spooled file
attributes.  This then causes separate open time commands to be sent down
for separator pages vs. the spooled file."

For the remote output queue in question, is the OS/400 job which creates the
spool files different from one file to the next?

Best Regards,

/Paul