Hi, JT:

The essential difference, if I understand the question, is that the data
is not in character form.  Binary fields, for example, do not play well at
all when the program/filter/whatever reading them is expecting plain text.
 For example, awk is going to have a REALLY tough time finding, say, the
value 12 in a packed field, particularly if awk isn't told about packed
fields.

Yes, one could conceivably convert these fields before sending to the pipe
(ala file transfer's (not FTP's) "convert to text" set of features).
Knowledge of the data format would, of course, be required, and for that
you'd need to access the file header and all that yuck yuck.  But, yeah, a
"power cat" could be created, if that's your question.  Then you'd need a
"power grep" and "power awk" and ... well, you get the idea.

If I misunderstood your query, please forgive.  I think I've reached my
word quota for the day anyway.  :)

Dennis E. Lovelady
AIM: DELovelady

"jt" <jt@ee.net>