I would like to start out by saying I do not have much experience using
TELNET.
Now the problem. I have an AS400 that a programmer has been accessing
from home using TELNET.
This has been working fine over the past couple of months. Now this
morning she calls and tells me
she cannot get a TELNET session. The AS400 is connected to the internet
using a Cable Modem and
LinkSYS router. I can connect to the 400 from my PC using client access.
When I run the cmd telnet 12.96.216.277 (not actual IP address)
(from my PC) I get a messages:
 "Could not open connection to the host on port 23."
A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly
respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because
connected host has failed to respond.

I have turned off/on the cable modem as well as the LinkSys router and
IPL'd the 400, TCPIP appears to be running fine.
I can access the Internet using the LinkSys router and the cable modem
and I connect to the 400 with CA

We are running V5R1 and Windows XP

I don't know what to do to start trouble shooting this, any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated

Richard