I have a Word mail merge document containing VBA code to retrieve customer
information from the AS/400 and create mailing labels.  The document and
associated ODBC DSN were created with the AS/400 at V5R1.

Things were working well until the system was updated to V5R2.  Now,
whenever I open the document using Word I receive an error that Word cannot
find the data source for the document.  I attempt to recreate the data
source using MSQuery and it fails with "Error on assignment".  Clicking on
ok displays another message box with "Unable to open file".  This result is
the same when creating a new mail merge document and attempting to create a
new data source for the AS/400 with MSQuery.

We have another AS/400 that was as V5R1 at this time.  I could successfully
connect to this system either opening an existing document or creating a new
mail merge document.  This system has been upgraded to V5R2 recently and now
exhibits the same symptoms.  Using Excel or Access to retrieve AS/400 data
works fine.  The only issues are with MSQuery.

According to our system administrator I have the most recent version of
Client Access and the latest V5R2 PTF's have been applied.  I have also
applied the latest updates for Office from Microsoft.

Tracing the ODBC connection shows everything proceeding OK until the error
on assignment is reached.  This makes me think the issue is with the ODBC
driver but I can't convince the system administrator.

Where should I look to better identify the source of the error?

Rick Chevalier
Sr. Programmer Analyst

(817) 525-7178
rick.chevalier@americredit.com