But that won't find a _member_ named MYFILE anywhere.

There's a 3rd-party product called FNDMBR. It doesn't used to work above
certain security levels. Nice, tho'. There's a fully-functional shareware
version at <http://www.famtech.ca/fndmbr-summ.html>, albeit with a nag screen.

But the thing that works is in QShell, the 'find' utility. You can use it
like this

    /usr/bin/find /QSYS.LIB/VERN.LIB -name 'TESTXXX.MBR'

or like

   /usr/bin/find /QSYS.LIB -name 'TESTXXX.MBR'

This last will run awhile.

To do this, run STRQSH or QSH (be sure it's installed - it's a free option
of OS/400 but not usually installed), then try one of the above.

Generics can be used in the -name, so you could look for 'TEST*.MBR'. '*'
is any number of characters, or none; '?' is a single character, '[' and
']' are used to list characters to look for. E.g., [A-Z] is any uppercase
letters, [0-9] is any digit. [0-9]* MIGHT be any number of digits, I
haven't tried this.

Here's the explanation of using 'find'
<http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r1/ic2924/index.htm?info/rzahz/find.htm>

You can also run it from a command line, as in

   QSH CMD('/usr/bin/find /QSYS.LIB/VERN.LIB -name ''TEST*.MBR''')

Note the double apostrophes.

Also, everything in QSYS needs to handled as uppercase (except, I suppose,
for some file and member names you can generate in SQL, where you can have
lowercase and spaces, etc.). There's not a flag to ignore case - I thought
there was in Linux versions of this.

You can even run it in batch, as

     sbmjob cmd(QSH CMD('/usr/bin/find /QSYS.LIB/VERN.LIB -name
''TEST*.MBR'''))

and the output is in a spooled file

/QSYS.LIB/VERN.LIB/QCSRC.FILE/TESTXXX.MBR
/QSYS.LIB/VERN.LIB/TESTCPY.FILE/TESTCPY.MBR

HTH

Vern