Eric,

First of all, I believe in Free Trade, completely Free Trade. Things
should find a free market for distribution. If it is really free, there
will be maximum efficiency and maximum productivity. The Great
Depression was brought exacerbated exponentially by the various nations
raising tarriff barriers.

But secondly, there can be lots of reasons to buy or not to buy,
including social or personal ones, and if you want to buy American,
that's fantastic! More power to you!

For me, this is also Free Trade, and also shows the worth you might
assign to some of the history and economic power that goes along with
the product. Generally, the same people who today advocate "engaging"
Cuba and China in trade in order to "bring about change", for example,
are the same ones who some ten years ago were boycotting goods made in
South Africa in order to "bring about change". It may show where your
values *really* are. Boycott Kathie Lee (or whoever) for using
sweatshops, but buy Chinese where they use prison labor (documented) and
also wait to execute Christian and other prisoners when an organ order
comes in and force women to perform abortions on the second child.

Therefore those who prefer "Fair Trade" have a good point too. We as a
whole as IT folks, not all, but myself yes, are paying the price in
money, resources and aggravation for helping sustain the M$ monopoly to
now. When corporations gobble up patents, or in unison do things like
make sure light bulbs will burn out after x hours, or cars will start
failing at warranty plus one mile, this is *not* Free Trade either, for
example.

By the way, it is also not Free Trade to make sure you can't make more
than *somebody* thinks you should in your trading.

-My 2 cents
Alan