Hello, Rob:

When you do a DSPPGM on an ILE "bound" *PGM, you must
then use option 5=Display on each *MODULE to see where the
source is, because for ILE, the one-to-one relationship between
object and source is at the module level.

Even so, how can you possibly store a (potentially very long) fully
qualified IFS path name in the space (only 30 bytes for file, library,
and member) reserved in the OIR (Object Information Repository)
of either a *PGM or a *MODULE object?

The OIR was architected way back when in CPF on the S/38, and
its basic format and layout has not been updated much since then.

The real problem with all these IFS path names is that the path can
contain an arbitrary number of "levels" of subdirectory, before you
even get to the actual file name, which in and of itself can be very
long... the architected "limit", by the way, if you can call it that, for
IFS path names in OS/400 is 16 Megabytes! (16 million+ characters)

Unix weenies in the Unix world rely on "naming conventions"
to find the corresponding source file for a given executable file.
Crude utilities like "make" rely on the file date/time stamps, using
the file system as a primitive database, to determine what changed,
and hence, what objects need to be recreated from "corresponding"
(by name only) source files.

Why must we drag OS/400 down to this same level of functionality
(the "lowest common denominator") in the name of strict Unix or
Posix compatibility? Ugh!

Just my opinion,

Mark S. Waterbury