You are overlooking the major issue with developing a critical app on
Windows technology.

Microsoft breaks their tech every 2 years.

VB6 to VB.Net breaks.

You wrote an app for Win9x and odds are you are having problems on the NT
line (and XP which you are forced to use).

The 5 million levels of MDAC and if you accidentally upgrade a version, you
can break your app.

The changeover from DCOM to .NET.

Hell, the varying levels of IE.

MAYBE developing with the idea that XP is your target OS might get you a
longer lifespan than typical MS development, but developing a critical app
for a windows environment is a gamble I believe and time and resources have
to be spent on development to follow the MS path of upgrades and changes.

I don't trust MS applications more than a client front end and have a
backend server do all the work, again though, you are still tied to any
changes they do to their architecture (vb6 to vb.net as a case in point).

Granted Java is not perfect either.  Sun can break things at will if they
chose too.

In reality, the only languages that are safe are open ones.  COBOL, C/C++,
etc.

I assume there are a lot more C/C++ coders than Cobol coders, as well a I
would assume the amount of COBOL programmers available dwindle year by year,
as well as cost to employ.  How many kids come out of college knowing C and
java as opposed to COBOL?

C/C++ will always be around for as long as we can see, currently.

As for back end servers, IBM and the *nixes have a better track record of
stability in run times and stability in cord life than MS has.  I think the
only time this company has had any issue with IBM on their AS/400 was
recently with a cisc to risc upgrade (and it was pretty minor) andthis
stupid OfficeVision API gut (which is keeping us from going to 5.1).

BTW, if you are looking at Linux desktops, Kylix from borland seems to be
real nice for application development.  The same Delphi code will compile
for Windows or Linux, natively -- as long as you use the cross platform
widgets and nothing OS specific.  Again though, I would make the real
processing on the server backend and make the desktop piece just an
interface and data validate.

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company