There is a plethora of topics to be covered here:

- Languages
- Design
- Change Management
- Tools
- Backup
- Security
- Etc

As you are aware the iSeries supports COBOL, SQL, RPGLE, etc.  It also
supports C and C++.  Granted, it is not true object orientation, but ILE
and service programs get's you going in the right direction.

Joe Pluta had some great points as to what client, or clients, will be
accessing the same programs.

There are several change management packages out there.  Two that pop to
mind are Softlanding's Turnover, and Aldon's CMS.

The new Eclipse development environment should help the disparate teams
work together well.  Move to that, versus the traditional SEU and PDM.
You, showing your ability to change, might show the VB crowd that they
could compromise and change also.
Give these people all the features of iSeries Navigator, (formerly known
as Operations Navigator).  While you may feel more comfortable with a 5250
interface, history has shown that they will adopt more readily to the
Navigator.

You may want to do the bait-and-switch and postpone the suggestion for
mirrored systems until after the project gets going strong.  For a list of
High Availability vendors check out:
http://faq.midrange.com/data/cache/210.html

Since you may be having a mix of clients, at least more than the
traditional 5250 interface, then you might want to consider a different
security plan than menu based security.  Area's to consider:
Excluding users from all data.  Data access must be done via either stored
procedures which adopt authority, or traditional programs which adopt
authority.
Column security.  Either secure users from the physicals and only allow
access via views or logicals which contain their area of concern or break
apart the physicals.
Exit point security.  See  http://faq.midrange.com/data/cache/198.html

Now's the time to 'do it right' and not as how the packaged software
vendors have been doing it for years:
Use referential integrity, do not assume that all data access will be via
'that one maintenance program'.
Set up journalling.
Set up commitment control.

Benjamin Franklin