Perfect explanation, Steve.  Thanks to all.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-admin@midrange.com
[mailto:midrange-l-admin@midrange.com]On Behalf Of Steve Landess
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 3:26 PM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: Re: V5R1 upgrade

No- they are talking about the files created IF an AS/400 command has an
*OUTFILE output option:

Example:

DSPFD FILE(F4211) TYPE(*MBRLIST) OUTPUT(*OUTFILE) OUTFILE(QTEMP/MEMBERS)

For each type of information that you can display from a file (*MBRLIST,
*ACCPTH, etc.) using an *OUTFILE option, there is a different file in QSYS
that defines the record layout of the created file:

*MBRLIST = QAFDMBRL
*ACCPTH  = QAFDACCP
*MBR         = QAFDMBR
and so on...

In this case, the output file that I specified is named MEMBERS but
QADSPMBRL is the file that defines the record format for this *OUTFILE
option.  IBM reserves the right to change the layout of QADSPMBRL with each
successive release of the operating system.

What they are saying is that they will add fields to the END of the data
record when they add fields to these files, so that if you specify
LVLCHK(*NO), your program that uses a file created in  this fashion will NOT
bomb.

HTH
Steve Landess