Query Manager has 2 interfaces into creating QM queries.
One is like interactive SQL, the other is very much like
Query/400. And QM forms give you almost all the
formating options of Query/400, with even some more
options - like wrapping within a column, e.g. And you
can do summary functions in the form, in addition to
summary functions (GROUP BY in SQL, GRPFLD in OPNQRYF).

Query/400 queries can be converted to QM queries (QM
stands for Query Management, a cross-platform technology
within IBM that encapsulates an SQL statement in an
object). There are some things that do not convert well,
in particular, type 2 and 3 joins from Query/400, so if
you have a lot of those, it'll be harder. The Query
Management Programming book has good info around
Chapters 11 and 12.

You can use STRQMQRY OUTPUT(*OUTFILE) to generate a file
in CL. And you can use substitution variables in the SQL
statement.

Query Manager has extensive user authorization options.

Plus you get the ability to write SQL in your
RPG/COBOL/REXX applications. Can be very useful.