On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 01:30:32PM -0400, Booth Martin wrote:
> The linksys router assigns addresses for your PC's.  Probably they are 192
> 168.12.100 & 101.  That'd suggest a number of 192.168.12.102 for your 3rd
> device, the AS/400.
> If in doubt, http://192.168.12.1   (no name, password of admin) should show
> you where your network is at.

I'd recommend not picking 192.168.12.102, because if you were to add another
computer that got its addresses via DHCP, it'd conflict.

The issue here is what's assigning the addresses and how. I had guessed the
Linksys was doing it, via DHCP, and the PCs were getting the assignments and
using them. You can check this easily enough: bring up the Network control
panel, select the TCP/IP protocol properties, and see if the button to get
addresses from a server is selected. If so, then DHCP is in use. You can
find out what addresses your PCs are running at by bringing up a command
window (in Windows NT, 2000, and XP; can't speak to others) and issuing the
command "ipconfig".

You then need to find out what addresses the router is configured to issue,
and pick one on the same subnet that's not in the range the router will
issue from. Assuming the example above is correct, the router is most likely
configured to hand out addresses from 192.168.12.100 through some higher
number.

The other thing to look at is the subnet mask. Again, assuming the example
above is correct, the subnet mask is most likely 255.255.255.0. That means
that any IP address with the first three numbers matching is considered to
be directly reachable, and so on the same LAN. (This is a simplification,
but for the present case it's good enough.) So any IP address starting with
192.168.12 can be reached from your PCs without any further ado.

The result: Pick something starting with 192.168.12 that's not in the range
the router will hand out via DHCP. I'd suggest 192.168.12.10, just because
that separates the AS/400 from everything else in a way you can easily
remember.