From: midrange-l-admin@midrange.com
[mailto:midrange-l-admin@midrange.com]On Behalf Of Brendan Bispham
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 8:21 AM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: Re: SNDDST Confirmation of Delivery - Internet (Outside World)

<snip>
As far as delivery goes - you dont have to use a main SMTP server, you
can
deliver direct to the target SMTP server. Thus delivery means that the
target
domain accepted the email, and the internet is no longer the issue. I
wouldn't recommend using the OS400 SMTP server for this, but something
with
better logging/tracking of emails status, but you can always give it a
go -
just change the firewall paramter of the CHGSMPTA to *NO, and make sure
your
DNS settings point to an Internet DNS server.

To confirm a message is read, rather than delivered or opened, you can
insert
a unique URL which contains part of the email message, and will only be
used
when the user reads and clicks on the URL. You can then track this URL.