Programming is probably easier with a data structure and pass the data
structure as a single parameter. Program maintenance would be difficult
and messy if the PLIST or prototype contained a large number of
parameter entries. This is also an area where bugs in the program could
creep in if someone specified a wrong parameter.

There are other posiblities/variations -

create a service program that only contains your variables, specified
with the keyword EXPORT. You can now access to all these variables from
any program/procedure in the activation group without needing to pass
them as parameters. This service program is a kind of 'blackboard' to
which you read and write data. Perhaps this service program could also
contain some procedures for manipulating this data - an object oriented
approach to RPG?

or - Make your data structure based on a pointer, and pass the pointer
as a parameter.

or - Use a fixed or variable length string and pass this a parameter.
Use concatenation and %SUBST to construct and breakdown the information.

or - Use a data area to share information between programs

Syd

Rick Rayburn wrote:

Hello there everybody -

Got a program calling another program with 55 parameters being passed
between each...all really needed...some for input only, most for
returnage
of data. Can anyone lend some expertise to these queries?

1. any NOTICEABLE performance issues here...it is an order entry
application...program would be called maximum twice for each order.

2. would I be better served with 1 field being passed and then split
into a
55 field data structure upon entry/re-entry?

Thanks much people.

Rick Rayburn
NYC