Jim,

I'm not sure you've really received an answer to this question.  If I
understand correctly, you need to know whether a PC5250 Asynchronous
Console will function with existing cabling if you upgrade the 720 to
V5R1.

Pardon the rant, but I get a little peeved when business partners are
not providing full service as part of a hardware sale.

<rant>
You have a business partner - I would suggest that you hold their feet
to the fire and demand an answer to this question.  They sold you this
upgrade (I assume), they are recommending that you upgrade to V5R1 prior
to the hardware thing, what do they say about the console?  While their
staff may not know the answer immediately, they do have access to IBM in
a way which you don't.  Get an answer, in writing.  It is their job to
map out the upgrade in very broad terms so that you have adequate
hardware and software for the relevant steps at the appropriate time,
and they should provide this service at no additional charge as part of
the hardware sale.  Don't expect hand-holding at every step, but at a
minimum they should provide assurances that you can do what they
propose.
<end rant>

Here are some of my thoughts (sorry I don't have time for a more
complete answer):

If you have a twinax controller you could switch to a twinax console for
the brief time your 720 will be at V5R1.

For V5 Asynchronous Ops Console support on the 720 (attached to a #2721
or #2745), the proper cable is part number 97H7557.  What is the part
number of your current cable?  What input/output adapter is it attached
to?

It strikes me that you are currently using older console (pre-V4R5)
technology.  V4R5 supports a version of Ops Console.  It might be better
to upgrade your PC software to Ops Console and get that working before
you attempt to upgrade the OS.  That way you would at least be in the
right family of products.

Your BP is right about upgrading to V5R1 prior to swapping hardware.
That is the right sequence of steps.

Regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse