On Thu, Sep 26, 2002 at 05:43:07PM -0500, ed_doxtator@baxter.com wrote:
> I've seen that there are a number of discontinued AS/400's coming onto the
> market, particlualrly the pee-wee football-sized Model 170's, for less than
> $2k.  This seems a reasonable price to me... or is it?  I've never _bought_
> an AS/400; I just use the ones my employer happens to have lying around.

Having just done this, I can provide a few answers...

> V5R1
> Most systems seem to be coming with V4R3-V4R5 loaded.  I'd rather use V5R1.
> 1. What sort of dance do I do with IBM to get an upgrade?  If I have to pay
> for it, does anyone have any idea of how much?

Assuming you get a 2159 processor, or other P05 group, the one-year
subscription fee is $750 - IF you sign up for it within 30 days of
purchasing the system (*NOT* taking delivery, purchasing). If you wait past
that, it goes up to $1900. That will give you the right to new versions of
the programs you're licensed for for that one year.

> 2. I can't remember the minimum requirements for V5R1.  I did install it on
> our 170 (9404, I think, but do not quote me) and it went smoothly.  But
> that was more than a year ago, and it was an upgrade from V4R5.  I recall
> that the V5R1 installation process needed something like 128mb of free disk
> space.

I don't know the requirements, offhand. I do know that the 4 GB drive that's
standard will be fairly full with V4R3. Before installing V5R1 on my box (it
STILL hasn't arrived yet, argh!!), I added 256 MB more RAM ($670 off eBay),
and 3 more disk drives (total of 4 in a parity-protected set, giving 12 GB
total space). AIUI, you *will* need more than the stock 64 MB RAM; you can
get 64 MB more for $170 off eBay.

> 3.  Because IBM seems to to-and-fro with regard to what comes with base
> OS/400, I have no idea what would be included with the OS.  I'd think the
> key development components I would need are
>    -WDS
>    -ClientAccess
>    -Interactive SQL (via STRSQL)
>    -Developer kit for Java

You'll get the Java kit, but none of the rest (possibly Interactive SQL,
haven't gone looking).

> Environment
> 1. How much heat and dust can a 170 tolerate?  Most systems I've used are
> in raised-floor computer rooms.  The only AS/400 I used in an "untreated"
> environment was in the UK; it seemed to handle heat and dust reasonably
> well.  It certainly tolerated my thumb-fingered programming.

Mine's in a regular bedroom that averages about 85 F with the door closed;
I've had no complaints out of it.

> Dealing with re-sellers
> I've never dealt with a re-seller before.  What are the most common
> problems Midrange-L people have run into with these guys?  What sort of
> questions should I ask?

I got mine from IBM Global Finance, off eBay. The transaction went fairly
well, except for two things:
1) It took them a week to get me a customer number so they could complete
the transcation. Be prepared for delays.
2) The quoted rate for shipping was *GROSSLY* inaccurate. They quoted me
$275. It actually cost me $745. The reason: They couldn't get a
tractor-trailer to my house, so they had to switch trucks halfway through
the trip. Be careful. The unit, if refurbished, will be strapped to a pallet
with a box over it, and the whole affair will weigh 150 pounds; the machine
itself will weigh considerably less.