Jay,

Just to deal with two of the questions you raised:

QBASE vs. QCTL:
These are both legitimate 'controlling subsystems'.  You specify the
controlling subsystem using the CHGSYSVAL (change system value) command
and referencing system value QCTLSBSD.  IBM has provided these
alternatives and configured them as defaults based upon the size of the
system.  For a smaller system, more jobs will run in a single subsystem
(memory pool).  This is QBASE.  On a larger system, jobs are broken out
into subsystems which allows for a more atomic level of control.  This
is QCTL.  If you are using your machine to learn, you would probably
want to change your controlling subsystem from QBASE to QCTL so that you
have a more realistic environment which matches most documentation as
well as discussions on this list.

Client Access Host side:
The host side of Client Access is part of the base operating system and
is available without charge.  If you get a legitimate upgrade, the host
servers will be part of it.  The installation of OS/400 has a number of
'optional' components; the Host Servers are option 12.  If you display
your installed licensed programs (GO LICPGM, then menu option 10), you
can see what you have installed.  When you purchase Client Access, you
are getting the client-side code.

Hope this helps,
Regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse

On Behalf Of Jay Maynard
 Subject: Re: ABCs of OS/400 administration?

Ah, one piece of information I'd been wondering about; the terminals in
my
system all are owned (?) by QBASE, yet other AS/400s I've seen use
QINTER or
QCTL or... I don't know what the differences are, or why it makes a
difference. (It may not, in my environment, but I'd like to know.)

At this point, I don't even know if I'll have the Client Access host
side
stuff installed when I get 5.1 running, or if it's an extra-cost feature
on
top of the client programs. Since one of the purposes of this box is
development of something that will talk to Client Access, that's kinda
important.