Joel

I wonder if there is a side effect of "bucketizing" the
generated random number as you do - it's the standard
technique, I used it to build random strings from
available EBCDIC code points. (I know, there's got to be
a better way, but I was in a hurry.) Even with your
almost 10 trillion values, that's a subset of possible 8-
byte floating point values (about 1/100th?). So even if
the overall distribution is quite random, in a small
sampling (100,000), things could show up more in one
bucket than in others.

But then I'd expect more variation in the frequencies
for each value - not the clumping you report, and that I
believe I've seen, too.

Vern