My suggestion is not to mess with SWA unless you *REALLY know what you're
doing.  If anyone wants a copy of my COMMON session on SWA, or my article
that I wrote for the experts journal, send me a *PRIVATE note.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com

                      Dennis Munro
                      <DMunro@badgermini        To:       "Midrange List
(E-mail)" <MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com>
                      ngcorp.com>               cc:
                      Sent by:                  Subject:  SAVCHGOBJ question
                      midrange-l-admin@m
                      idrange.com

                      09/13/2002 08:13
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      midrange-l

820 running V5R1M0 installed two weeks ago with all the latest group ptf's.

I have been having a problem with my day end processing since then & I am
not sure why.  The following is a time line of what runs at what time.

I do a  SAVCHGOBJ  OBJ(*ALL) LIB(*ALLUSR) DEV(TAP02)  ENDOPT(*LEAVE)
ACCPTH(*YES)  which starts about 23:30 & takes about 45 minutes to run  At
23:50 I have another job scheduled to run & the first thing it does is a
CHKOBJ to verify the existence of a data area in QGPL.  It is timing out
(120 seconds) with an MCH5802 -  Lock operation for object DEPPARM not
satisfied.

As I read through the help for the SAVCHGOBJ command, it says  "Specified
objects that were changed and the libraries where they reside remain locked
during the save operation".   Is this saying that "ALL" the changed objects
& the libraries they are in are locked for the total duration of the
SAVCHGOBJ?  At least that is what I am reading it to say.  And has it
always
been that way?   Yes, I did change one thing that makes the SAVCHGOBJ run
longer.   But today I removed/omitted two data libraries (BPCSF & BPCSUSRF)
from this command because I save them in total daily as a save file which
then gets saved to an 8mm tape.  And these libraries are almost the largest
objects on the system.

Just curious if the SAVACT(*SYNCLIB) would be a better way to go because
right now it is at *NO.  Then I read the note for *SYNCLIB & wonder how
much
time that will add to the save operation??  Or will just not processing the
two largest libraries get it done in time before the CHKOBJ runs?

I really would have trouble getting more time from the users (23:15 through
00:05) daily to run day end/backups/etc. where it used (pre v5r1m0) to work
just fine.  Hopefully omitting the two libraries from the SAVCHGOBJ will
get
my time line back in order.  If not, back to the drawing board this
weekend.

Thanks - Dennis.

Dennis Munro

"I love deadlines.  I especially like the whooshing sound they make as they
go flying by."  Dilbert's Words Of Wisdom:

Badger Mining Corporation
www.badgerminingcorp.com
dmunro@badgerminingcorp.com
(920) 361-2388