I modified the *DTAQs in our production system to allow multiple
jobs perform a retrieval of the Data Queue Entry in FIFO mode.

Say a *DTAQ will have three or more jobs doing work all day.

One of the controls that I had to create in my *DTAQs environment is the
equivalent of:

o  Do not allow to separate processes work on the same entry at the same
time

   As I read the *DTAQ I Insert/Write a record in a control file
   This record is UNIQUELY identified.
   The Job performs the necessary work and when done with the work I
   Delete the record previously created.

   That means that before I can allow the current process to perform
   any work, I check to see if there are other processes using the
   record that I will be trying to Insert/Write.
   If there is another process using the record. I will wait a number
   of seconds.
   If the number of waits exceeds a number of retries ... your recovery
   routines .. etc

   I created the file with reuse deleted records.

o  Your problem will boil down to be able to create the UNIQUE
identification
   of that Entry (record)

We have increased our production processing using this technique.

I hope this can help

Jorge Moreno
Systems Analyst
Overseas Military car Sales