Jeff,

I'm not talking in terms of countries doing better or worse but the fact is
that US foreign policy has been tied to economic and political gain rather
than championing the goal of global democracy.  It could be argued that that
is just the way the world works but in that case we shouldn't pretend it is
guided by idealistic notions alone.

This isn't an attack on Americans - as I said they have much to be proud of
and yes as I pointed out myself are seen as a free and democratic country by
many refugees.  It is to their credit that they have offered thousands of
people asylum and their cities are a wide and rich tapestry of diverse
cultures. I am just saying that it would be wrong to pretend they have
always acted as a beacon for democracy in their foreign policy.  The fact is
that they have often caused a great deal of suffering for economic and
political gain in countries that were already democratic and have helped
many dictators in power so that they might be more sympathetic to America's
interests.

I don't have to say any other country has done better - that wasn't my
argument.

Again, my wish is not to rub salt in people's wounds but simply to temper a
somewhat hyperbolic statement - that's all.

My thoughts are with any who have suffered as a result of September 11th and
from terrorism, occupation and war elsewhere.

Jenny M