> From: David Gibbs
>
> On this important day, please take a moment to reflect on your
> life now and
> how it has changed ... and, more importantly, how it has not
> changed.  Also,
> take a moment to appreciate those around you ... your family, friends,
> co-workers ... as life and freedom are precious.

And I would wish that my fellow countrymen take this time to reflect on our
proud heritage as a nation of tolerance and liberty - hard-fought at times,
and imperfectly accomplished, as is the nature of the human condition, but
realized most spectacularly here in America and held aloft as a beacon to
the rest of the world.  We are not perfect, but we strive for that
unreachable goal.

As you grieve for those lost, please focus on the future and especially on
our youth.  If you have children, please take a moment to talk with them, to
remind them that the tragic events we hold in our minds today came were not
the acts of any country or culture, any religion or creed, but instead were
the barbaric acts of those who would twist the thoughts and minds of the
desperate and the oppressed.  The future of our children, and of future
generations, depends upon their decisions and their actions from this day
forward.

Make sure your children embrace the similarities among us all, rather than
focus on the differences that can keep us apart.  We are truly a global
village, and only through understanding can we someday achieve peace.

At the same time, please keep our Armed Forces in your hearts, especially
those stationed abroad fighting against terrorism worldwide.  While
worldwide peace is our ultimate wish, until that day arrives we must be
vigilant, and as always there must be a front line to that vigilance.  As
our emergency services heroes were imperiled on that tragic day one year
ago, and indeed as they are every day, our men and women in uniform are
committed to serving every day in harm's way, and my prayers go with them.

Peace to you all, and to the world.

Joe