You can replace the LinkSys cable/DSL router/gateway with a like model that
supports VPN.  I have been successfully using Netopia (less than $500)
products for this purpose.  They do both NAT and VPN and so act as an
effective firewall as is.  The only way thru is via the userid/pw combo over
VPN.

Once in via VPN you are assigned an inside private address and can go
anywhere on the LAN including the ability to tn5250 to the AS400 which I do
with Synapse IP Client.

Jerry

> I would like some advice about VPN and/or firewall equipment/software.
I've