At 08:16 08/16/2002, Dale Draper wrote:
>Don't assume that these excel sheets are very transportable. I'm pretty darn
>sure that the Excel query (it is not an AS400 query stored in excel btw,
>duh)
>is stored on the users disk and is not a part of the sheet itself, and the
>autoupdate function uses ODBC, and a specific driver name, so that if you
>did send it to another user, they would have to have the same ODBC driver
>name in order to update the spreadsheet, and that's assuming no query.
>Now then, if you were to update it locally (using auto-open?) and have full
>Adobe Acrobat and were to use Adobe's "convert to PDF and email"
>function..............that might have possibilities..............

MSQuery is a little extra that comes with Office, but isn't installed by
default. It will create stand-alone queries, but they can also be stored
within an Excel worksheet (no separate object), and most often are. You
need a datasource to write the query, but the connection parameters are
also stored within the spreadsheet, and the eventual user doesn't need to
have the datasource in order to refresh. They do need to have an ODBC
driver though. I'm not sure if you need MSQuery in order to refresh an
existing query. I suspect you don't.

Pete Hall
pbhall@ameritech.net
http://www.ameritech.net/users/pbhall/index.html