I'm having a devil of a time setting up the Universal Connection to
IBM.  I'm about to call Supportline 'cause the farther I go, the more
confused I get.  I've looked at articles, the redbook, and I thought I
knew what I was doing.  I tried the Universal Connection Wizard a number
of times but never can get it to work.  I tried the 'direct connection'
as well as 'multi-hop connection.'  I don't do router configs so I even
paid the consultant to open the ports the redbook said were required
(for direct connection that is).

Before I call supportline though, I gotta get a couple of things cleared
up in my head.  What we have is a Cisco 1605 router.  This has 2
ethernet cards in it, 1 'internal' and 1 'external'.  The internal is IP
address 192.168.0.250.  The external is IP address 216.xxx.xxx.xxx.
(The iSeries is 192.168.0.1 with a gateway of 192.168.0.250 which is the
internal side of the router).

Based on the redbook description and pictures <g>, I did not take this
to be a 'multi-hop connection', but took it as a 'direct connection'.  I
didn't think that this single router was 2 routers like the example in
the redbook, because both routers in the redbook examples had routable
IP addresses like 123.12.xxx.xxx and not internal only addresses like
192.168.xxx.xxx.  The redbook also called this the DMZ (Demilitarized
Zone) and I never considered us as having a DMZ.  Am I right on this or
am I really confused?  I don't want to pay a big consultant fee to set
this up when it seems like it should be relatively simple.

Thanks.

--
Jeff Crosby
Dilgard Frozen Foods, Inc.

The opinions expressed are my own and not necessarily
the opinion of my company.  Unless I say so.