I wrote a custom app that does almost exactly what you describe, about 7
years ago. Unfortunately, it was for a customer and I have no access to the
source.

I used Visual Basic on a PC. The PC had a keyboard wedge for a scanner, I
think, which was used for UPS tracking numbers mostly. There was also a
serial connection with a scale (called an indicator, IIRC). They would put
a box on the scale and then request the info over the connection. I think I
used some kind of COMM VBX. Fields were filled in from the order entry
database on the 400. I used a record-level access DLL called OPNAccess, I
think.. Ended up writing my first C++ app, a VBX wrapper to the dll, so I
would not keep having errors of not initializing variables properly for the
dll. Various lables were printed, a manifest was the result of the day's
work, etc. Saved 'em $70k a year at just one shipping station, because it
eliminated so much duplicated effort and needless inefficiencies.

You could use ODBC for data access, or ASNA's record-level thing, or Client
Access' OCX's or ??? Then you need the input from scanner and scale. I
think those might require a PC, so that'd add to cost.

HTH a little

Vern