I'm not fatalistic, but this is another compelling example of how if
Microsoft gets it "reasonably" right with integration promises of .NET;
combined with the full force of a Microsoft Marketing Campaign(something IBM
has yet to figure out how to do for iSeries) - It could mean real trouble
for the product line and us as customers.

Sniglet....

"This pile of cash is also how Microsoft, as Paul Flessner, senior vice
president of .NET Enterprise Servers, explained, can increase its server
sales people by 22 percent, its account managers by 15 percent, and its
sales people dedicated to developer tools by 47 percent in fiscal 2003.
Microsoft also plans to spend $200 million on an advertising campaign
focused on promoting the lower total cost of ownership of Microsoft
technologies compared to alternatives like Unix servers and another $500
million in new channel investments. Flessner said that in the server market
alone, Microsoft would dedicate more than $2 billion of its 2003 budget to
beefing up its server programs, which is necessary so they can take on Unix
and other proprietary alternatives like IBM mainframe and AS/400 servers.
The TCO talk and integrated platform pitch is right out of the AS/400
playbook, which IBM has been using for 14 years."

Full Article....
http://www.midrangeserver.com/mid/mid073102-story02.html

Rick Nardone
Middleburgh Telephone