This is a medium size topic that's hard to cover well in a single e-mail.
Short answer is yes.  You should look at the ability to mount different file
systems in the IFS.  NetServer and QNTC are the key to M$.  I don't have any
experience with Novell, but I'm sure there's a way.  The Client Access and
IFS intro manuals will get you started.

One caveat--QNTC file shares depend on your release of OS/400 and the M$
operating system.  QNTC file shares did not work for us at v4r3, worked
great at v4r5.  We're currently waiting for an OK to IPL in order to apply
the ptf that may make it work under v5r1--then again, it may not be the
answer.

Under v4r5 we used it in a couple of nightly processes to copy database
files as text files--straight cpytoimpf from database file to
/pathname/filename.  It worked flawlessly and was faster than creating a
test file in the IFS and then sending it via FTP.