Let me refine my calculation about disk config with 4 GB drives
Option 1 - you cannot exchange the 8 GB drives and have to buy another 2x 8GB
to form
a RAID set - you have 5x 4GB and 4x 8GB then, which gives you roughly 4x 3 GB +
4 GB
and 4x 6.5 GB = 16 GB + 26 GB = 42 GB as total size and one disk slot left over.
Option 2 - you exchange (somehow ;-) ) the 8 GB drives and fill up any slots
with old and cheap
4 GB drives this gives you 8x 4 GB minus 10% = 29 GB + 8 GB = 37 GB and adds
the possibility
to  spread data over 10 equal disk arms.

just my two cents from over the big lake ... Philipp