I had a similar problem over the internal LAN. It turned out to be
caused by a DHCP error. For some reason my computer couldn't talk to the
DHCP server after it initially received an address, so when the lease
expired the computer lost its address. Once the computer had lost its
address it could contact the DHCP server and get a new address, but
since it now had a different address I lost my 5250 sessions. Actually I
lost all my connections, mapped drives etc. but the drives reconnected
without my noticing the problem. Only the 5250 sessions were noticeable
because they were new sessions and I had to log back in, disconnect the
old session, and then logout, disconnect and reconnect  to recover my
old session.

I don't know how to solve this problem, since the way I did it was to
reimage my machine.

Hope this helps
Joe

>>> james@eaerich.com 07/22/2002 14:35:53 >>>
On Mon, 22 Jul 2002, Chris Whisonant wrote:

> Anyway, there are no other sites I'm seeing with this (out of about
25
> remote locations!) This site is the only one that is on a cable modem
setup
> using VPN. All other sites have a T-1 or faster link back to our
> headquarters while the cable modem is on a separate network (thus
needing
> the VPN tunnel). Our network guy is saying that the tunnel has been
up for
> 16 days and he's not seeing anything here. However, if this is the
only
> workgroup with these symptoms, how can it be the AS/400. We have
about 800
> users and only the five at this location are losing their session.

We also had this problem happen a lot.  We've changed some settings on
the
iSeries and now it happens much less often.  Of course now I don't
remember what settings.  I'll check when my boss gets back.

Here are reasons why I really do believe the AS/400 is screwing up:

1.  As I already mentioned, changing some settings on the AS/400
helped.
2.  We connect to a customer over the internet.  We use Client Access
and
tn5250 to connect to their AS/400.  We use ssh to connect to their
linux
gateway (which is immediately in front of the AS/400).  Before we made
the
changes to the AS/400, Client Access dropped quite often.  tn5250
dropped
once.  ssh *never* dropped.

So either Windows sucks, or Client Access, or the AS/400.  tn5250
(running
on linux) dropped once, so maybe Windows doesn't network very well.
ssh
never dropped (even when 5250 sessions were dropping at the same time)
so
I don't believe there was ever a general networking problem.

Here are some ideas:

What is common among all the sessions drops?  I bet that everyone on
this
list who is experiencing dropped sessions is running Client Access on
Windows.  Anyone losing sessions who isn't using Client Access on
Windows?
Also common is that sessions are dropped only when they are remote
over
the internet.  This points to some kind of latentcy somehow
interfering.
We never saw unacceptable latentcy times or bandwidth restrictions.
Yet
sessions were still lost.  Perhaps the slightly larger latentcy causes
occasional yet unrecoverable timing problems.

What is not common?  Well it doesn't seem to matter what release of
OS/400
you use.  We had problems with V3R7.  People are reporting problems
with
V5R1.  So that doesn't seem to make a difference.  The type of router
used
doesn't seem to matter, either.  We use Cisco, Netgear, 3com, and
linux
for all our routing and networking.

Here is something to try:  Use a plain telnet session to connect
instead
of client access.  See if that drops.  Try different OSes (on the
client
end).  As previously stated, my tn5250 sessions and ssh connections on
linux kept right on chugging even when the sessions of the guy next to
me
were failing.

James Rich