Reeve,

>>I'd like to track who's using a given source member and for how long.  I
don't care about tracking changes.<<

I suggest you take a look at the security audit journal. The ZC audit
records in the security audit journal can be used to give you this
information. Each of these audit records includes a date time value plus
the names of the file, library, and member as well as a numeric Access Type
field. A table at the end of Appendix F of the Security Reference Manual
describes the access types.

After setting up auditing use the CHGOBJAUD command to turn on auditing for
your source files. If *ALL or *CHANGE auditing is on for a file, then when
a user uses SEU to edit a member a ZC audit record with an access type of
Open will be written. When they actually save the changes ZC audit record
for Clear is written. You should be able to use these two audit records to
determine how long they had an exit session open.

Note1: If you do not see a Clear then they did not save their changes.
Note2: If they use EDTF to edit the changes then you will need to turn on
read auditing and look for the ZR audit records as well as the ZC records.
EDTF only opens the file for change when the users saves the changes.
Before that it opens the member for read.

Ed Fishel,
edfishel@US.IBM.COM