O.k., tell me if this is a fit (I have come up against this several times):

We have a rather large interactive program with complex logic (you know, the
ones whose author is long gone and for which there is no documentation), in
this case, an order delivery posting program.  A new program was written for
this client in their HazMat application, and this new program is where
deliveries will be recorded.  Instead of duplicating the human effort in the
older application's posting program, it would be ideal if we could feed it
the data as if a human were entering it in from the data that is collected
in the new HazMat program.

Once upon a time, I took an existing interactive program, defined but never
opened the Workstn file, no-op'd all the Workstn format reads & writes, and
replaced those with data fed from a new input data file.  It worked, but was
not something I'd like to do on a regular basis.

Dan Bale
SAMSA, Inc.
989-790-0507
DBale@SAMSA.com <mailto:DBale@SAMSA.com>
  Stanley Cup Finals lower bowl tickets at Joe Louis Arena: $500
  Official Red Wings jersey: $150
  Octopii to drop splat in front of Irbe: $22 each
  Nine Lord Stanleys: PRICELESS!