Don,

With all due respect, there was a lot more to V5R2 than the Model 890.

Capacity Upgrade On Demand is now SOP for models 830 and 840, and IBM
repositioned models 270 and 820 with pricing actions.

In addition, two very interesting new technology's that are a part of V5R2
include Independent ASPs for the QSYS.LIB library system (and you thought
that backup was tough to navigate before - forget about it) and one signon
across platforms with EIM.

Also IBM reacted to industry pressure and accelerated the release of V5R2
by several weeks

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com

|         |           Don               |
|         |           <dr2@cssas400.com>|
|         |           Sent by:          |
|         |           midrange-l-admin@m|
|         |           idrange.com       |
|         |           06/03/2002 10:23  |
|         |           AM                |
|         |           Please respond to |
|         |           midrange-l        |

  |       To:       Al Barsa <barsa@barsaconsulting.com>
                                                 |
  |       cc:       midrange-l@midrange.com
                                                 |
  |       Subject:  Re: Boise Idaho User Group?

Al's got a very good point, and I'll go futher.

Look at the latest announcement as an example.  What was the announcement?
>From MOST users perspective, it was soley the 890.  Now, how many people
do you know that are going to buy a 890?  It totally ignored the rest of
the stuff in 5.2...

Further, as pointed out by Al and many others of us, IBM is failing to
maintain interest in OS/400...not only from a end user basis, but from a
developers and industry basis.  Frankly, people that are doing alot of the
new and sexy stuff are doing it on a unix or windows platform.  They see
the OS/400 based system as very expensive dinosaurs and since they are
being readily and constantly being made aware of the plethora of options
that are NON-os/400 based in almost every media and modality known to man.

IBM continues to think that the Ogylvie & Mather memo regarding OS/400
is the way they should continue the way they do business...and well, IBM
is currently selling at 80.26 a share....need I say more?  Add to this:
Have any of you hear of any MAJOR layoff's at Microsoft lately?  If so, I
missed them.

IBM has lost the PC, the PC/OS, the desktop and if they don't get their
act together really soon, the formidable competition for the server and
database will take those markets from them as well...or at least continue
to erode them to a point that one would have to question the profitability
of maintaining them as a product.

The BEST analogy I have is why Brittain lost the revolution.  Clearly they
had superior firepower, but they refused to adapt to the way that the
indians and colonists were fighting....Brittain insisted that their troops
fight out in the open fields they way that a gentleman's battle was
conducted in europe.  (and yes, there were other variables involved as
well...)

Brittain didn't realize that people fighting for their homelands, don't
want to make themselves targets or want to needlessly die....they didn't
adapt....they thought they were the kid in the sandbox....they lost the
war.

Well, there's other kids on the IT block...and they're making their
presence known in spades...and companies, users, students,
schools, etc., are listening.....  Perhaps that's the epiphany that the
advert was looking for......

Clearly, if you have the best stuff on the market, but nobody knows about
it,doesn't learn about it in school as part of their normative cirriculum,
doesn't hear about it in the trade rags with enough frequency and
magnetude to keep thier interest, then, it's not going to gain any
marketshare....

...and the beat goes on...

------